Before the test

Test taking and vehicle document requirements

The following items are required to be able to take the test. Photocopies, facsimile copies and computer-generated documents are not acceptable for any of the required documents below:

  • You must be accompanied by a licensed driver who is age 21 or older, has a valid driver license, and must be present when you are called for the test and through its completion.
  • You must have a current vehicle Certificate of Registration. A temporary dealer registration will not be accepted.
  • You must have a current Hawaii motor vehicle insurance card. The name and vehicle identification number must be the same as on the vehicle Certificate of Registration.
  • You must have a current Vehicle Inspection Certificate. The inspection decal must be on the vehicle and the vehicle must meet all safety inspection standards.
  • If the vehicle is new, you must have the sales contract, the Certificate of Vehicle Inspection Certificate and decal, a Hawaii motor vehicle insurance card, and the current temporary license plate is attached to the vehicle.
  • If you are using a rental vehicle, it must have the original Certificate of Registration, Certificate of Vehicle Inspection, and Hawaii motor vehicle insurance card. The driver
  • license applicant must be listed on the rental contract.
  • If you are using a company vehicle, you will need a letter, on company letterhead, authorizing you to use the company vehicle for the road test that must be signed by an officer or authorized person of the company. The letter must include the applicant’s name, vehicle license plate, make and vehicle identification number and the date that the vehicle will be used for the road test.

Minor applicants

If you are under age 18, you must also provide the original State of Hawaii driver education certificates of completion for classroom and behind-the-wheel instruction.

Foreign license holders

In addition to all of the requirements above, holders of foreign driver licenses of a participating country of the “1943 and 1949 United Nations Convention of Road Traffic and Convention on the Regulation of Inter-American Automotive Traffic” must present a valid foreign driver license, a valid international driving permit, or a valid passport, with an entry date to the U.S. of less than one year at the time of the road test.

Schedule Here